6.06.2008

LIFE(ライフ) J-Drama

LIFE(ライフ) is a drama based on a popular manga, which deals with many controversial subjects such as suicide, student-teacher relationship, and bullying. Well, that’s not motivating eh? Let’s try it again. This is the first bullying drama that I’ve finished on one sitting.

The first bullying drama I have seen which is not episodic. It’s like watching a 7 hour movie with short bathroom breaks in between. LIFE is about extremities. It is twisted and cheesy… full of rough corners and plot holes, but it still does the job. It takes that stereotypical bullying scene to the next level.

Two things that take it there:

Number 1: Fukuda Saki as Anzai ManamiShe’s evil all right. But it’s not the kind of freakiness(cheesiness) that you’ve seen from Liar Game’s mushroom guy. Fukuda Saki has elegance and control. For that, she won the Best Supporting actress award. She does the occasional evil smiles, but her expressions weren’t as exaggerated as that of Katsumi Sako’s - the_perverted_sicko (Hosoda Yoshihiko).

You know why I hate him more? (Unintentional or not) he’s like a cheap mimic of Kubozuka Yosuke, especially Yosuke’s “the King” role in IWGP. But Katsumi is no near likeable. Even the reason behind his behavior is not enough to garner any sympathy from me. Anyway, back to Anzai Manami, believe it or not, I felt like cheering for her towards the end during the payback moments. I am a new fan of this actress. If you’re not like me and still feel strong hatred over Manami, the best way to get over it is by watching the behind the scenes video clips and pictures at the official site. You’ll see her holding hands cheerfully with the show’sprotagonist, Shiiba Ayumu (Kitano Kii) - the girl who knows how to look bad-ass with a cleaning mop (See picture above). During the intermission in the first episode, you’ll see a slightly bloody Shiiba getting “mopped out” and you think, “OMG OMG”. I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but that scene will not occur in episode one, or two, or three…or ever. There’s a similar scene, albeit, bloodless, during the middle.

story05_03.jpg

Shiiba Ayumu has a few shining moments. Are they worth it? Yup, they are. I just wish she has more of those instead of being 80% clueless, weak, and naive. But I love her chemistry with Hatori Miki (Seki Megumi). These are my two favorite scenes of them.

saviour.jpgsaviour-2.jpg

Hatori is the perfect woman version of a knight in shining armor. She was introduced sitting on a high elevated area, while the wind plays around her hair. The second picture will beg you for tears. In my case, it succeeded. Shiiba looks and sounds like Shida Mirai, who acted on two bullying dramas, Watashitachi no Kyoukasho and Queen’s Classroom, but is only likeable in the latter. I’m glad, though, Mirai didn’t get this role - really, really glad.As for the rest of the students who weren’t mentioned, there’s nothing special about them, aside from the fact that they will make your watching experience a living hell. (Hiro, hello?…grrrrrr) The chase in episode 10/11 was a treat. It totally follows the “psychoticness(no such word, I know)” of the school. .

story11_01.jpg

The irony is that Nishi high is considered one of the elite schools that students would die for to get into. But when you get in, it is battle royale, man. The drama tried to deliver a few messages about bullying; too obvious sometimes. Successful or not, I’m not sure. If it even needed to be this extreme to make a point, I’m not sure as well.There are a lot of plot holes in the story. Some issues are left open-ended. For example, I would have liked to know why Manami is acting the way she is.

Number two, of course, is the soundtrack. I don’t even need to explain how brilliant the music director is. See for yourself. One thing though, this show will not be as suspenseful and as grabbing if not for the music. So if you are getting fed up with episodic dramas and want a quickie that will tie your butt onto your seat and keep your blood pressure and adrenaline high till the end – this is your drama.

Watch it here - http://www.mysoju.com/life/ :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to watch it! ^_^

My friend sent me a song from the J-Drama episodes and she said it was one of the songs from the soundtrack. Bad news is, after I told I wanted to have the song on my profile, is that there was no name and no artist.

Reading this, I'm hoping you might know of it! It's the "ending song of the first episode" Is what she said.

message me back about it(if you find out or know, that is)?

Nayu said...

You really made a good job reviewing this! I felt that you pointed out the things that I felt but couldn't exactly put my finger on. But one thing I really agree with you, the music. If it weren't for the music this drama probably wouldn't be this good.

Thank you for the links and a very entertaining review :3

ADs